Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What comes first? The Web site? Or the business plan and marketing plan?

QUESTION.
I have an idea for a business. I'm chomping at the bit to build a Web site for it. I haven't written the business plan yet. Should I wait to create the Web site until after I complete the business plan?

ANSWER.
Yes. A Web site is a marketing tool. And it will only be effective if it works for your small business in a way that your business' marketing plan dictates. Without writing your business plan (and marketing plan) first, you will have no way of building your Web site so it is in line and consistent with your marketing plan. Besides, you will probably cut and paste most of your Web site's content from your written business plan and marketing plan.

I hope my comments are helpful. Good luck! Regards, -Jeff

Jeff Lippincott
SCORE.org Counselor
Princeton, NJ
scoreprinceton @ aol.com
www.scoreprinceton.org
www.jlippin.com

No comments: