Sunday, May 27, 2007

You're not an accountant, but you sort of want to be. Get Quickbooks Pro and study the program. You'll learn what you need to know!

QUESTION.
I'm going to start my own business shortly. I've written a pretty sound business plan and realize that keeping good financial records will be important to my business' success. I have a college degree, but it's not in accounting. Is there an easy fairly inexpensive way to learn how to keep the books for my business? Please advise.

ANSWER.
Yes. Assuming you are computer literate I recommend you purchase a copy of Quickbooks Pro at an office supply store. Get a few books on the program from Amazon or Barnes and Noble and read them first. Then install the program on your computer and study the layout of the user interface and maybe go through the tutorial built into the program.

If you have really written a great business plan, then you should know the transactions you'll be recording on a daily basis, on a weekly basis, and on a monthly basis. Set the program up so you can record these transactions as needed. Then take the file you create to a CPA firm (or bookkeeping firm) that is expert in using Quickbooks Pro. Have them tweek your file so It will do a good job for you.

When you've done what I describe above, then you will have mastered the bookkeeping function of your business.

I hope my comments are helpful to you. Good luck! Regards, -Jeff

Jeff Lippincott
SCORE.org Counselor
Princeton, NJ
scoreprinceton @ aol.com
www.scoreprinceton.org
www.jlippin.com

No comments: