Monday, May 28, 2007

There's a lot to starting a business. You need a business plan, a Web site, and an ability to market creatively.

QUESTION.
Please critique my Web site. I am starting a transcription company. I would appreciate any feedback on the site, good or bad. My marketing tool is going to be a postcard I am going to mail out. Thank you.

ANSWER.
Since I am a lawyer and have had experience with transcription services I am a little concerned that you have not thought through fully the business idea you have. You MUST prepare a written business plan that is SOUND - meaning one that is destined to make money. I don't think there is a business model that is viable for the concept you are trying to put together. Write a 25-35 page business plan and prove me wrong! See PICK A BUSINESS, WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN, START THE BUSINESS and HOW TO WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN.

Now, for my critique and/or comments...

1. Need a testimonials page.

2. The site is clean and pleasing to the eye.

3. The ABOUT page is not informative enough.

4. The FAQ section is incomplete.

5. You should include your fee schedule on the site. If you think posting your rates will scare away clients, then you don't think you are selling value to clients. And that is not good.

6. The site is too simple.

7. For examples and inspiration, see
www.publishinggame.com

www.surpassyourdreams.com

www.jblockinc.com

8. Get a copy of the following book:
The Web-Savvy Writer
By: Patrice-Anne Rutledge
(c) 2006
ISBN: 0977830403

See also, LEARN ABOUT WEB PAGE AND WEB SITE DESIGN.

A business plan will include a marketing plan. Simply sending out postcards is not going to get you business. And even if that's all you plan to do, then your Web site is going to have to be stellar so it converts visitors into paying customers. I think you need to take a look at the following link. See BOOKS ON SELF PROMOTION.

I've given you a few things to think about. Contact your local SCORE chapter and sign up for a free 1-hour face-to-face counseling session with two volunteers. We excel at helping wanta-be entrepreneurs create sound business plans. I can't help you with that via emails, though. Sorry. Good luck! Regards, -Jeff

Jeff Lippincott
SCORE.org Counselor
Princeton, NJ
scoreprinceton @ aol.com
www.scoreprinceton.org
www.jlippin.com

No comments: