Monday, May 28, 2007

Being a woman can help you get government contracts if you own your own business. Don't waste the advantage while it lasts.

QUESTION.
We are setting up a corporation that would deal with automated recyling plants and would like to set up the corporation as a women owned to take advantage of certain government contracts. What percentage of the corporation has to be women owned to be considered for that status? Please advise.

ANSWER.
I honestly don't know the percentage. But I do know of a great resource for you. Take a look at Janet Christy's book entitled CAPITALIZING ON BEING WOMAN OWNED.

My hunch is the answer you seek depends on who you are apply to for contracts. But there are one or two organizations that certify a company as woman owned. So you can visit their Web sites. They are referenced in Christy's book. Read my review of the book, too.

I hope my comments are helpful. Good luck! Regards, -Jeff

Jeff Lippincott
SCORE.org Counselor
Princeton, NJ
scoreprinceton @ aol.com
www.scoreprinceton.org
www.jlippin.com

No comments: