Saturday, June 30, 2007

A DJ has been dabbling in business. Now he wants to get serious about it. Time to write a sound business plan.

QUESTION.
I'm starting up my own DJ company. Right now I have 2 DJs. Usually when we have a gig to do we all go and work together. I'm usually mixing the live sound, and they take turns DJing through the night. As I come closer to launching the company, I realize all the things I need to do and get together as far as paper work and the business side of things. I have to determine how much each person gets paid from each gig. I was wondering If you had any advice at determining this, and if this is not your specifics, could you direct me to someone who might be able to steer me in the right direction?

ANSWER.
You say you want to start a business. To do it correctly you must put together a written business plan. Just as with any writing there is a certain amount of research necessary. There are all kinds of things you have to consider in order to figure out what to pay your employees. That number will flush itself out when you put together the financial section of your business plan. I recommend you get a copy of the following book. See

HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN YOUR STATE ONE

HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN YOUR STATE TWO

Please read the book review I wrote for it.

Also, consider taking a look at the following links. See

PICK A BUSINESS, CREATE A BUSINESS PLAN, AND START IT SOON

FIGURE OUT HOW TO WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN

And contact your local SCORE to meet face-to-face for an hour with two SCORE volunteers. They can help you prepare your business plan. CLICK HERE and enter you home zip code to find the local SCORE office closest to you.

I hope my comments are helpful to you. Good luck! Regards, -Jeff

Jeff Lippincott
SCORE.org Counselor
Princeton, NJ
scoreprinceton @ aol.com
www.scoreprinceton.org
www.jlippin.com

No comments: